Why Drifting Will Kill Racing

The way I see it is that racing has so much money behind it, coupled with insane speeds it can be very difficult for a driver to pass another driver without turning into a flaming wreck, while faster is always better this doesn`t do much for the spectators, and as with so many sports, once the spectators leave, so do the sponsors and television rights and other money making sources.
While this may take many year to come to terms I don`t see how the major races, like F1 can compete, there is almost no overtaking at the time of this writing and it makes for better boring viewing, more than a couple of times this year I have wondered why I spent an afternoon watching a race where there was no racing, and wondering who I could contact to get my afternoon back.
So as drifting edges into the mainstream, and the other sports forgot what made them huge I expect we`ll see a move to immediate gratification, which is on the up rise all over the planet, a great example is the internet. People are used to getting what they want almost immediately, no need to wait for the news report on TV, no need to spend money on magazines, the information is available 24/7 for next to nothing.
The same applies to our leisure time, I for one would much rather spend 2 hours being entertained than waiting for the end of a race where I know who won at the first turn, the age of instant gratification is upon and it bodes poorly for the old school motor heads, at least in my humble opinion.

2 comments:

  sabeen

April 20, 2009 at 7:40 PM

nice blog

  sabeen

April 20, 2009 at 7:43 PM

but u can make it much better